California here we come. Rachel Nguyen, blogger, model and menswear designer may have been born and raised in the O.C., but she recently relocated and now resides in Los Angeles. Fashion, design, style and friends is the hot topic on Rachel’s blog, That’s Chic. Oh and so is her love of Disneyland.
“To really find your style, you need to find your own gems in a crowd of nothing,” she tells OC Weekly. And oh, the gems she has found. She embodies the perfect Californian look with her bohemian vibe and casual cool pieces, but Rachel also adds a bold spice to her style with edgy, androgynous picks and mad love for anything vintage and ankle boots.
A blogger since the very early days of blogging, Rachel has unsurprisingly established herself in the industry through her quirky nature, Music Mondays and style that can’t be bought. This lovely lady has been featured on Forever 21, H&M, Joie and Teen Vogue to name a few. She’s also been featured in a Coach commercial with other bloggers, was selected as a Threadsence Coachella correspondent, walked the runway for a Polyvore fashion show at NYFW, and has been photographed by Citizen Couture, fellow Wantering trendsetter.
Rachel wows us, inspires us and chats with us. Come meet our Featured Friday trendsetter!
Tell us a little bit about yourself and whether you are still obsessed with Disneyland?
Well, I’m currently a new Angelino and exploring the city in a different perspective. I just graduated from University of California Irvine with a degree in Economics and now I’m designing menswear - weird.
Disneyland still has a very, very special place in my heart. I didn’t renew my annual pass since my move and it sort of breaks my heart a little thinking about it - no exaggeration.
What’s your take on fashion in LA?
In general, I think LA is so much more laid-back than other parts of the country. That sounds so generic, but there is something so free loving and warm about California style - it’s just effortlessly cool. I can appreciate fashion in NY - it’s a lot more sophisticated and tailored without frills, but the west coast is the best coast.
What are you looking forward to in 2013?
There’s been a lot of changes in all fields for me. In terms of my personal life, I’m out on my own for the first time and left a 3-year relationship. It’s definitely a test of independence, and I like to think I’m handling it okay right now.
I never thought I would be in design, but it’s been a crazy and fruitful learning experience. Blogging is a bit on the back burner with everything going on in my life right now but it’s great because I feel closer to my blog friends than ever!
What fellow bloggers do you get inspiration from?
Would it be too cliche to say all of them? I think every blogger no matter how big or small, has a unique voice and there’s something different to take away from each person.
Who are your style icons?
I’m still excited to accent everything with yellow gold and I’m loving the whole bad girls vibe.
What’s your fave Wantering pick right now?
These are some spiffy Alice and Olivia shoes.
To shop like Rachel, a true California girl, join thousands of other trendsetters on www.wantering.com!
This blog post by Wantering is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
- sincerely-miya reblogged this from hipster-fashion-trends
- dreamer-092 reblogged this from finishing-touch-accessories
- fit-bitches-rock reblogged this from hipster-miniskirts
- sleepyheadbaby reblogged this from lingeriesexytime
- wie-auch-immer reblogged this from wedgeswedgeswedges
- borrelia likes this
- sexdrugsrockandroll69 reblogged this from wantering-in-the-hood
- becozimquirky likes this
- xeclecticeyesx likes this
- thaibananaleaf reblogged this from skirting-the-issue
- batsinthebasement reblogged this from wantering-leather
- batsinthebasement likes this
- everythingboutbtrlovato reblogged this from hipster-tops
- aydnic reblogged this from hipster-miniskirts
- angelshoutsherro reblogged this from wantering-in-the-hood
- ginnythegenie reblogged this from wedgeswedgeswedges
- atslopes likes this
- dasneuegold reblogged this from hipster-miniskirts
- ellavanella reblogged this from wantering-heels
- rachelemerita likes this
- cage-after-cage reblogged this from looking-pretty-in-prints
- yvetukexx reblogged this from radshades
- evsko likes this
- justwantingtobemyself likes this
- reyhan523 reblogged this from wantering
- skinnyjeans-candybar reblogged this from fuckyeahhotdresses
- it-happens-alot reblogged this from hipster-tops
- fungrychunkymonkey likes this
- alyssathesexweasley reblogged this from never-under-dressed
- cocosworld90210 likes this
- dogganghappened likes this
- gramielle likes this
- wrigleys-spearmint reblogged this from fuckyeahhotdresses
- fashionfamefinder likes this
- hannichen reblogged this from hipster-miniskirts
- itamerlanium likes this
- awesome-dressesthatrawesome reblogged this from wantering-blog
- better-than-you-bitches likes this
- gleekgr likes this
- vice-f-u-versa reblogged this from wantering-leather
- lin5000 reblogged this from wantering
- lin5000 likes this
- rubyelaine15 likes this
- blindside-d reblogged this from hipster-womens-fashion
- blindside-d likes this
- photos-danielle reblogged this from wantering-leather
- fabulous-different reblogged this from hipster-miniskirts
- pheenahp reblogged this from wantering-jewelry
- debryxan reblogged this from wedgeswedgeswedges
- debryxan likes this